A century-and-a-half old bridge has been rediscovered underwater in the Ellidavatn lake near Reykjavik.
The bridge used to be used by men and cattle over the water to a meadow.
RUV reports that the bridge has been lying a 1.5 metres under water in the lake since 1920 when Reykjavik Energy’s first hydropower station was taken into use.
The bridge was paved with grey stones and lava rocks and was called Steinboginn, or the stonebow. The word rhymes with regnboginn, which is the Icelandic for ‘the rainbow’.